Natural Incense is Made with:
- Whole Plants & Herbs
- Tree Resins & Gums
- Wood Powders
- Essential Oils
Incense cones or sticks that use burning accelerants or synthetic materials are not considered natural. Some of the harmful materials found in many commercial incense brands include:
- Charcoal : used as a base in cones and dipped sticks as a burning accelerant.
- Saltpeter : a burning accelerant.
- DPG -Dipropylene Glycol is a common petrochemical additive used in dipped incense as a combustible carrier oil.
- Fragrance Oils: factory-made scents with petrochemical origins.
- Sawdust from dubious sources.
- Bamboo sticks treated with preservatives / chemicals such as formaldehyde